[Coldstuff] ColdHell

Bruce Mitchener coldstuff@cold.org
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 15:05:20 -0600

Frank Crowell wrote:
> Not really.  Just avoid GPL if you can.  For ColdHell, GPL is probably okay
> because it shouldn't  affect other software.  I am sure that Bruce has a
> favorite or two that he could suggest.  No sense in getting overly concerned
> about this.  But i have seen a project come to almost a complete halt
> because of a GPL issue.  I had followed Bruce's advice several months ago
> and asked the project to reconsider using another OSI.  They didn't and now
> they are scrambling.

BSD or MIT licenses nicely avoid that sort of thing, but also tend to
grant less 'protection' back to the developer .. yet that's what cold is
under, as well as things like a family of OSes (the BSDs, duh), and a 3D
engine the Nebula Device (http://www.radonlabs.de/) and so on.  Works
nicely, little issue if someone wants to do commercial use.

  - Bruce