[Coldstuff] custom color

Henry Stuka coldstuff@cold.org
Thu, 07 Mar 2002 20:08:59 -0500

I’m completely new to ColdC, and programming in general – MOOs being my only
experience so far – and I was hoping someone could give me some pointers
with regard to color in the ColdCore.  I’m trying to implement a custom
color system, where players can choose what colors they want to see for room
descriptions, player names, etc.  I’ve added variables to the player
objects, such as base_color, room_color, and so on.  Using eval with the
statement:

;me.tell($compiler.compile_cml("{font color=" + base_color + ":This text is
blue}"))
=> This text is blue
[ seconds: 0.000000; operations: 2835 ]

...I get the output I want, but my questions are:  1) Is this a horribly
inefficient way to do this?  2835 operations-?  2)  Is running text through
$compiler.compile_cml the best, fastest, or only way to use color in
ColdCore?, and 3) how do you get *bold* colors?

Apologize for my cluelessness – any help or direction would be much
appreciated --

stuka