I sent this to coldcore@cold.org earlier, but have since discovered that
most people aren't on that list.

Here goes again:

Some comments on the roadmap.

Looking at the core as it exists today, there are a number of things that
spring to mind.  While it has many advanced or very cool features in it,
very often, they are not used as widely as they could (or should) be
throughout the entire core.

Often, this has been due to the evolutionary process through which the core
has been developed.  Some examples of this are the message system, the
setting system (which is getting there these days), CML (doesn't quite work
yet in mail messages), and so on.  There are also bugs in existing pieces of
code which limit their functionality ($pop3_daemon for one).

What are the problems for someone new approaching ColdCore as a potential
development platform?  I'd love to hear from anyone and everyone on this
subject.  I suspect that the answers will be lack of documentation
explaining what the various subsystems are, overviews of how they work.  How
does one have code run everytime an object leaves a particular room?  Should
you override the 'did_leave method on that location?  Is there an event that
is broadcast?  If there isn't an event, should there be one?  How do you add
a new CML generator?  What is involved in adding a new CML formatter?  What
if it needs to be compiled differently from the average tag?  (These are
hypothetical questions.)

What systems in the core are most often modified by people using the core?
What difficulties does that cause them in core-upgrades?  Does anyone that
has gone through this process have feedback?

In short, why don't we look at how people use the core and make their lives
easier?  Let's modularize code further and document what a module does and
what
the interface of it is.  Make the system usable for the end user.

- Bruce