[Coldstuff] External e-mail set up?

Jeremy Weatherford xidus@xidus.net
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 09:25:21 -0500 (CDT)

Heyo,

POP3 is a protocol for retrieving messages from a server, similar to IMAP.
I'd imagine you're thinking about the SMTP protocol if you're trying to
send mail from a ColdCore game.  Additionally, you don't need to set up a
daemon if you're just trying to send mail.  Based on a cursory inspection,
it looks like all you need to do to send mail is to do a:

$smtp.sendmail(from, to, subject, body)

You may need to do some configuration of the $smtp object first to specify
your mail server's name.

ColdCore can also be set up to run an SMTP daemon, which allows e-mail to
be delivered TO the game (presumably for distribution to game characters),
or a POP3 daemon, which allows game characters to pick up their in-game
mail via a 'normal' mail client.  Neither of these is necessary to simply
send mail from the game.

Hope this helps...

Jeremy Weatherford
xidus@xidus.net