[Coldstuff] Running Cold under MacOS X

Peter Bengtson peter.bengtson@musikelit.nu
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 01:16:32 +0200

Hi everyone,

Please excuse me if the topic of this posting is "old hat", but I can't
find any references in the mail archives.

I'm trying to build Genesis to run under MacOS X, version 10.0.4. The
system type is unknown:

> - System configuration
>   Getting hostname... sphinx.naradek.org
>   Checking system type... UNABLE TO DETERMINE
> ** You can specify the system type with the argument --system=TYPE
> ** Make sure to email brandon@cold.org with this error and your system type.
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.
> make: *** [all] Error 2

Editing "configure" to specify FreeBSD explicitly doesn't really work
either, though one gets further:

> [sphinx:~/cold/Genesis-1.1.9-STABLE] pjotr% make
> cc -g -O -Iinclude -Imodules   -c -o ops/buffer.o ops/buffer.c
> ops/buffer.c:180: illegal statement, missing `)' after `func_init_2'
> cpp-precomp: warning: errors during smart preprocessing, retrying in basic mode
> ops/buffer.c: In function `func_bufidx':
> ops/buffer.c:180: parse error before `_or_3'
> make[1]: *** [ops/buffer.o] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> [sphinx:~/cold/Genesis-1.1.9-STABLE] pjotr%

I just received a message from Brandon who says:

> I know there are people who have managed to get it to build in Mac OS
> X, but I don't know what was involved in it.  I do recall there were
> some conflicts in system library definitions as well as just the
> system type being unsupported. I would recommend asking the question
> on the coldstuff list.

So, is there anyone out there who successfully has built Cold under
MacOS X? What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

	/ Peter Bengtson