[Coldstuff] Running Cold under MacOS X

Peter Bengtson peter.bengtson@musikelit.nu
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 08:58:22 +0200

Bruce Mitchener wrote:

> >>and how a virtual community is created?
>
> I'm not sure at all what you mean by this question.

Thanks, Bruce - the question was more of a general nature - I am
familiar with other MUD servers and am operating a few virtual
communities already, so I'm talking about the specific details which
apply to ColdCore. I'm talking about general pointers, a "way in" to the
code, as it were. From other replies on this list it seems that there is
very little documentation available, and people even recommend other
servers like LambdaMOO. I'll take a look at the objects you mentioned to
see what light they can shed on things.

> Look at things on ColdCore.  There are some toys around.  Play around
> with the system some and do some simple experimenting.  Figure out how
> descriptions work, how the mail system works, how to add a command, and
> so on.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. Are there any resources available
that describe any of these things?

> As for whether or not Cold is being used, the activity on the list is
> not an indicator.  The Eternal City (TEC)
> (http://www.skotos.net/games/eternal-city/) is written in Cold, has a
> roughly 2G DB (although, better DB compression in an unreleased version
> of Genesis chopped that by 500M), has several hundred players and has
> been running for 4-5 years.

That's very interesting indeed. Is there any public information
available on the technical implementation aspects of that project?

If I can't find anything, and if the learning curve of ColdCore proves
to be forbiddingly steep without any form of documentation, I'll
probably have to fall back to another strategy: to modify the Valhalla
server (http://www.valhalla.com) and use that instead.

	/ Peter