[Coldstuff] guilds

Mark Cheverton coldstuff@cold.org
29 Aug 2002 11:59:34 +0100

Hi,

I'm just working through the first steps of coldc and have decided to
start by working on a guild system. This has raised a few initial
questions.

I envision the guild adding commands to the player, so where in the
heirachy should it be? In MOO I guess I would have probably have added
it as a feature. Is it best to do this as a parser and add that parser
to the user, or make the guild a descendant of $has_commands and insert
that into the heirachy (I tried adding this as another parent of $player
and borked everything, I guess the commands overwrote the default
commands and I was locked out from my only admin account - oops).

Its not particularly clear where extra player abilities like
$guild_member should go in the heirachy that aren't VR objects, I can't
seem to find anything that equates to features in moo. Should I just
subclass $player for the different guilds and switch the type of object
a user is when they join a guild? What's best practice?

Thanks.

-Mark