[Coldstuff] Looking for Starter Information - Cold and ColdCore

K Anderson coldstuff@cold.org
Tue Dec 3 08:04:08 MST 2002

> 1) What exactly is included in ColdCore and what commands (with full syntax)
> would I use to see what is included.  I'm looking for methods, objects (such
> as the user object for example), etc.  I do know that the user object is
> $user and have used @show to view it but I don't know, really, the other
> pertinent objects out there.

Use the web interface. Point your web browser to what ever port you told the server to listen on for HTTP requests. When you get the intro screen go to Gateways and from there just browse around. Quite handy. Also, @parent $root and @children $root are your friend. Or try @parent $sys or @children $sys.

> 2) Are there FAQs and other pieces of documentation that others have put
> together that I could use/have?

Nope, just the group here and I think there's an actual COLD server up and running by one of the folks here and you can get on there and ask for help. :)

> 3) Are there any pitfalls that everyone seems to fall into or going the
> other way, key things to do that always seem to help people succeed in
> building a good game?

Come up with a good theme, figure out if you want a hack and slash or just a normal RP environment. The hack and slash seem to be quite popular, get your friends to go on it and you can create table top style games on the server. Most games travel by word of mouth and get popular. Cold is a multi-media ready server, check out what sorts of clients will work with that. A desc is a good thing but a picture is worth a thousand words and folks just love to draw 'em. People can also connect to your server via the web interface and follow along the text with images, sound and other stuff.

Best of luck to you.