[Coldstuff] A couple questions, possibly related.

Bruce Mitchener coldstuff@cold.org
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 12:33:41 -0700

talvin@multipro.com wrote:
 > OK.  While working with coldcc, our Site Maintainer says he saw a
 > reference to 30,000 as a limit.  He was not sure if this was 30,000k,
 > or 30,000 as the top db#, or what.  Is there a limit to the database
 > size? Is it tunable?

There's a Cold with a 2.4 gig database, so there isn't a known limit
with the dev tree.  For the 1.1 release, there is a 2G limit on the DB size.

The limit on top db# is the max value for a signed 32 bit integer, or
2.1 billion or so.

 > Also, "binary database free size".  This is showing us around 5.7%,
 > as opposed to 6.4% for a fresh ColdCore.  How is this figured?  What
 > does it mean, and what should we be watching for?

This is just the number of 'blocks' in the DB that are free.   I usually
don't worry too much about it.

There's also some explanation of the cold database stuff on:

   http://agora.cubik.org/wiki/view/Main/ColdMudDatabase

although it could probably go into more detail on some of these points.

  - Bruce