[Coldstuff] DB backup issues when compressed...

Jonathan Robertson coldstuff@cold.org
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 20:20:09 -0800 (PST)

Ok.. I've gotten myself into somewhat of a problem.
Recently I created my own backup script as part of a
shell script and I scheduled the backup to run every
hour and to reschedule itself every day... On to the
problem...

Last thursday Genesis stopped running on my server for
some reason or another, and as you probably well know
if it doesn't close properly the DB will be corrupted
which it was.  I got on the server and attempted to
restore the most recent backup (only 20 minutes old)
and it appeared to restore properly from the console.
Fired up Genesis and got the "Corrupt Binary Database"
error message.  My script compresses the
/cold/binary.bak folder.  The command I used was

tar -czf /cold/backups/BU.$(date...) /cold/binary.bak

then I have it clean out the binary.bak folder so that
it will create a completely new backup every time.
Large but thorough so I thought. I am unable to
decompress any of over 20 backups I made.

I try doing it in KDE and get an error - The process
for the tar protocol died unexpectedly and objects
never decompresses, only index.pag and index.dir with
objects.part as 0 bytes.

Any Suggestions?  I don't want to lose any more than I
absolutely *have* to.  As I am going to rewrite it
again and say nevermind on the compression, I'll just
use a CDRW every week or so rotating them monthly. ;)

Jonathan
Aeternity