[Coldstuff] DB backup issues when compressed...

Brandon Gillespie coldstuff@cold.org
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 08:44:23 -0700

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 12:05:50AM -0800, Brad Roberts wrote:
> Ok.. that's a big part of your problem.  Don't use an external tool to
> schedule your backups.  Trigger the execution of it from
> $sys.backup_done().  See coldcore for an example of how it can be done.

Back when I was more involved in the driver I had seriously considered
adding a locking mechanism of some sort, to try and avoid having
coldcc run at the same time genesis is fiddling with the db. We see it
time and time again where somebody gets a corrupted db because of
it... it may be a worthwhile feature to add, just another .file in the
binary directory, or some such...if it exists, neither genesis or
coldcc will open the database (and of course they open it if they open
the db).

And paralell to that, I recall wanting to add an argument to coldcc
where it just forces a new clean file into the binary directory...

-Brandon