[Coldstuff] More suggestions

xmath xmath@nubz.org
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 15:49:19 +0100

Awaiting further comments on waifs.. I have more suggestions:

1. [Genesis] A default method handler: so, if a method call is done
and the method can't be found, object.handle_method_call('method,
@args) is called.

2. [Genesis] Why isn't there a way to do bitwise operations (and, or,
xor, not). Doing bitwise and is sometimes possible with %, and doing
bitwise not is possible by doing (1-value) but it's not as nice..

3. [Genesis] Support exponentiation of integers:
INT pow(INT x, INT y) and optionally FLOAT pow(FLOAT x, INT y)
I have fairly efficient implementations for these. (note that the
FLOAT-INT pow isn't really necessary as you can use FLOAT-FLOAT pow
for that, however INT-INT pow is a really different case.

4. [Genesis] It's a bit annoying that to convert a negative integer
to a negative objnum, I have to do: fromliteral("#" + tostr(num))
because toobjnum doesn't work in that case. Maybe add an optional
argument to toobjnum, "allow-negative" ?

5. [Genesis] Where is tofrob? To create a frob from variable
parameters, I have to do:  frob = fromliteral("<" + toliteral(object)
+ ", " + toliteral(data) + ", " + toliteral(handler) + ">")   and
that's pretty disgusting

6. [Genesis] Why does objnum() exist? Why not do toint(this()) instead?

7. [ColdCore] Add some mechanism to $root to associate custom
meta-data with objects, such as custom flags. (yes, I have an
application in mind, 'remote to indicate the method may be called by
an RPC)

8. [ColdCore] There should be some way for programmers to get a list
of tasks that are under their controls. So, a programmer-level @tasks
and @kill

Well, that's it for now I think.. :-)

  - xmath