[Coldstuff] To all cold admins out there: bug fixes

xmath coldstuff@cold.org
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 17:01:35 +0100

>Sortof... my belief is that the programmer will break those on their
>own room, and are hopefully disciplined enough to test their
>changes. Somebody stumbling into the room without privs is
>unfortunate, but highly unlikely.  A problem of this magnitude
>should be noticed immediately, and quickly remedied.  There are also
>admins who can usually be paged and brought in to fix the problem...

It doesn't have to be a mistake, it may be deliberate. To annoy
someone, or as part of a puzzle/exercise, like the Paper Bag at MOO.
In either case it may be desirable for someone to have an OOC way to
escape in case the IC way doesn't work. (in my suggested code, I
added a way for admins to disable this escape mechanism, should it
not be desirable)

>I just am not comfortable with the idea of building a hack into
>place for the sole purpose of working around programming mistake
>which would happen very rarely (hasn't yet in my realm) and which
>can also be fixed immediately...

I don't see why you think it's a hack.. the eject mechanism was
already there, I just generalized it a bit, slightly cleaned up the
code (less duplicate code) and made a user-accessible command for it.

  - xmath