[Coldstuff] ColdHell

Frank Crowell coldstuff@cold.org
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 10:18:38 -0700

Is it possible to turn ColdHell into an OSI (Open Source), so that the
license is clearer?  The license question has come up before.  Several years
ago I tried to get clarification on ColdHell with Inindo and he pointed to
you.
But I have told other people that the license status for Coldhell was
"unknown" -- sort of like the whole LambdaMOO database.

ColdHell is still the only publicly available database for Cold that has all
the machinery for creating hack-n-slash muds. By that I mean, a person could
be fighting mobs Diku or LP style this afternoon with very little
modification.

For a while both Inindo and I ran a ColdHell version and in fact hooked our
muds together so I could run around between the servers.

Going back to OSI-- doesn't matter if the license is GPL, LGPL, Berkeley or
some other of the many OSI-qualified licenses.

Fact is that ColdHell works but most people don't even know it exists.  The
Pueblo stuff is also interesting, but unfortunately unless the Open Source
version of Pueblo comes out someday, then some other thing will have to
replace Pueblo.

I see a couple of possibilties at this point.   One of course is to give
ColdHell an Open Source license and have a development team go through and
do some bug fixes and figure out what to do about the Pueblo support.  Since
fewer and fewer people have Pueblo today, the alternatives should be
considered.

The other possibility is to create a branch -- let's call it ColdHell 2.
The previous development team gives license to the new team to create a
branch that is under OSI, to credit the original creator/creators, but to
also allow Coldhell 2 to evolve in new directions.