[Coldstuff] Cache and "Out of Ticks"

Jonathan coldstuff@cold.org
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 19:46:43 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C23738.AA1AE220

I'm going to be upgrading the genesis soon and want to make sure I'm =
utilizing the machine the server is on to it's fullest.

The default method ticks is 20k.  We currently up it to 200k so that we =
can do a rehash-all as well as view some of our larger rooms, normally =
the janitor's closet until we get a DB link for deleted items.  Is there =
a recommended setting for that other than the default?  I understand =
what it does, I just don't want to mess up the genesis side of it.

There also is a setting I would like to know what all it is used for...

#define NAME_CACHE_SIZE 173

My third and last question for this posting is concerning the cache for =
cold when we do the ./configure for it.  I have been leaving it at the =
default.  Now that we have a new server dedicated to the core we want to =
make sure it is running at its maximum.  What were the defaults =
targeting machine wise as in processor and ram?  We went from a PIII =
450, 256MB Ram to a P4 750ish with 512MB Ram should I not up the =
settings for the cache and recompile it?  especialy since the core is =
ALL it does.  I can SSH into it and use a very strong firewall on it as =
well as have it behind my network firewall so nothing but core traffic =
goes into it except for when I SSH in.

Thanks!

Jonathan
------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C23738.AA1AE220

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm going to be upgrading the genesis =
soon and want=20
to make sure I'm utilizing the machine the server is on to it's=20
fullest.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The default method ticks is 20k.&nbsp; =
We currently=20
up it to 200k so that we can do a rehash-all as well as view some of our =
larger=20
rooms, normally the janitor's closet until we get a DB link for deleted=20
items.&nbsp; Is there a recommended setting for that other than the=20
default?&nbsp; I understand what it does, I just don't want to mess up =
the=20
genesis side of it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>There also is a setting I would like to =
know what=20
all it is used for...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>#define NAME_CACHE_SIZE =
173</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><BR>My third and last question for this =
posting is=20
concerning the cache for cold when we do the ./configure for it.&nbsp; I =
have=20
been leaving it at the default.&nbsp; Now that we have a new server =
dedicated to=20
the core we want to make sure it is running at its maximum.&nbsp; What =
were the=20
defaults targeting machine wise as in processor and ram?&nbsp; We went =
from a=20
PIII 450, 256MB Ram to a P4 750ish with 512MB Ram should I not up the =
settings=20
for the cache and recompile it?&nbsp; especialy since the core is ALL it =

does.&nbsp; I can SSH into it and use a very strong firewall on it as =
well as=20
have it behind my network firewall so nothing but core traffic goes into =
it=20
except for when I SSH in.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Jonathan</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C23738.AA1AE220--