[Coldstuff] $world_time

K Anderson coldstuff@cold.org
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 22:56:00 -0800

I was looking at the $world_object and am wondering about the
following:

  speedup = 3
     what is it speeding up and what does the 3 represent? (I see it
being used in .local_time as some sort of multiplier, and I think I
tried messing around with it but the results were weird.)

  time_units returns things like  31536000, "year", "years", "yr",
"yrs", 3600, "hour", "hours", "hr",
"hrs"
      what do the numbers represent? is it the number of seconds (or
maybe ticks?) in a year or has it been scaled down from some other
number that is now representative of how long a Cold year is?
      can the above time_units be changed to reflect that maybe in
the world a hour is some other number?

In world_time.daytime it has a line that says  t = (((.local_time())
/ 3600) + zone) % 24;
      what is the 3600 for? I notice it matches the same number in
time units (see above time_units)
If anybody also has any insight as to how the whole world_time thing
works it would be greatly appreaciated.  In the mean time, I'll
plugging away.

One of the many things I'm trying to figure out is in
$realm.advance_weather there is a thing about last_daytime and new
and it always seems that those values are always the same.

Here is some information from @status
Driver:      Genesis 1.1.9-STABLE
Core:        ColdCore 3.0.1999-08-28

Thanks for your help.

As a side note, I put in a marker in the code to tell me if the last_daytime change ever occurs.