[Coldstuff] coldcore

Jon A. Lambert coldstuff@cold.org
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 00:15:08 -0400

Brad Roberts wrote:

> Other than filing a bug in the running main coldcore at ice.cold.org 1138,
> this is probably the second best place.  That said, I won't do anything
> with the report.  The only thing I worry about is the driver aka genesis.

Speaking of the driver I noticed some problems with the Genesis
1.1.10 binary running on both Win9x and NT.  Both log ~file
errors when calling backup().  It appears to make the binary.bak
directory fine and does opens the .index output file, but either
fails to open and or read the source .index.  I'm referring to
the binary release at www.cold.org.

Also that version writes textdumps with line feeds in them!
All the text files generated and read into Cold should really
use BINARY mode, even under Windows IMO.  It's not a real big
deal as it's easy enough to run them through a script to fix
when you're porting stuff up to another server.

Both of the above was working correctly in the port I did
back in 97(?) 1.0p26.  I haven't seen 1.1.11 pre-release yet.
I hope you're not removing the Borland directives as some of
us winlubbers do not lub VC++ at all. :-P

Oh and it does work well under the Cygwin emulator but only
under NT.  Execute doesn't work as it calls the NT shell, but
I did have success calling a NT batch file which set up c-shell
under cygwin and then forwarded it all the parameters.  GDBM is
broken under the Cygwin emulator for Win/9x systems.  I sent
the maintainer a patch but it's been quite awhile.

--
--* Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD        Email:jlsysinc@ix.netcom.com *--
--* Mud Server Developer's Page <http://tychomud.home.netcom.com> *--