[Coldstuff] Win32 $smtp sitenames wiki squeak alice

Aldon Hynes coldstuff@cold.org
Sat, 02 Mar 2002 15:51:51 -0500

Okay, so I've been poking around with a bunch of different stuff...

I recently got ColdC (Driver: Genesis 1.1.9-1.0p0, Core: ColdCore
3.0.1999-08-28) running on my Windows NT box.  My first attempt was to
compile it using Cygwin.  It complied fine, but then coldcc wouldn't compile
the core.  If anyone has suggestions on this, let me know.

Then I found that recent Windows binaries exist at
ftp://ftp.cold.org/cold/bin/, I downloaded them, compiled the core and I'm
up and running.

I started $pop3_daemon and found that I could get my ColdMail via Outlook.
Nice.  Then I tried to get the $smtp stuff to work.

I noticed that the email address that I got when received the mail via pop
three was aldon@cv933025-a  cv9322025-a is the hostname that is entered in
the DNS definition for my NT box.  It appears to be omitting the rest of the
domain however.

When I attempt to reply to that address, I get
The message could not be sent because one of the recipeints was rejected by
the server.  Server Response  '571 Unwilling to accept or relay mail for
cv933025-a>'.

It appears as if the brackets are not properly being stripped off.  As a
side note, using raw telnet to send the mail, it works without the brackets.

Any comments on getting the brackets to work?  On setting a better hostname
in Cold?

As I read around a bit more, I found a reference in
http://web.cold.org/old/sitenames.html to
http://ice.cold.org/cold_servers/list

Does anyone know where cold_servers/list has moved to?

Any other suggestions on getting $smtp to work would be appreciated.

As a side comment, as I read through older posts on ColdStuff, hoping to get
a clue there, I found a reference to
http://agora.cubik.org/wiki/view/Main/ColdMudDatabase

This jumped out at me because I recently stumbled across Squeak.  There were
numerous references to wiki in squeak.  Is anyone out there playing with
wiki, squeak, cold or some interesting combination of those?  My readings
about squeak also lead me to alice, and the same question about alice
applies.

Always looking for fun new things to play with,
Aldon