[Coldstuff] genesis 1.1.11-pre1

Brad Roberts coldstuff@cold.org
Fri, 24 May 2002 20:29:32 -0700 (PDT)

Could you provide some implementation details?  Would you like some
pointers on how to generalize it more?  I hope so, since I'm going to give
it anyway.

I suggest, for 1.1.x, another extra pointer off the Obj struct.  For 1.2.x
(I know.. practically vaporware as far as most people are concerned, but
trust me, some really incredible work has gone on that just needs to be
cleaned up before anyone sees it (ie, I'd be a little embarassed for it to
be looked at too closely by anyone right now)) I've overhauled that
mechanism to make it less expensive (memory wise, slightly more expensive
cpu wise) to add object specific pieces like the current connection and
file pointers.

Try to isolate the sql engine specific pieces into a layer such that the
coldc api can work for multiple sql engines (mysql, postgres, informix,
sybase, oracle, mssql, etc).  Ie, there's bound to be some amount of code
that is independant of the sql engine api's and some that's very very
specific.  Try to make it easy to write different spcific pieces without
having to touch the common piece.  Also, try to think about cursor
support.  Mysql doesn't support cursors, not sure about postgres, but the
rest do and could go a long way towards reducing the latency for sql
results.

If there's enough demand for the sql support, I'd be tempted to back port
the changes I mentioned above from 1.2 to 1.1.  With those changes, it'd
be very easy to keep the sql code as a separate module that didn't have to
touch any core code at all, I think.  As usual, thinking out loud without
looking at the code could get me in trouble, but I'm fairly confident that
it's easily doable.

Later,
Brad