[Coldstuff] Need your help.

B. Jack coldstuff@cold.org
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 14:24:24 -0800

>Hello, I am a new user. Could you tell me the architecture of the Cold
>software >project? Thanks for your time. Best regards,Helen

There are probably three najor parts of the Cold system:
1. coldcc    - standalone compiler
2. genesis   - driver (think of it as a "MUD-OS kernel")
3. textdump  - this is the core that runs everything that exists in your
               project

First you need to install the genesis and coldcc programs from the sources
available from the download page.  What you do next depends on what you want
to do:

1.  You might just use the exisitng ColdCore software in which case once you
download the core and run coldcc on it you're in business.  Just follow the
instructions that come with ColdCore for setting up the initial game
environment (like making yourself an administrator) and away you go.  There
are also a few other cores you might wish to use (such as ColdHell).

2.  Make your own core.  This is what I did for Anime Mayhem.  By far the
most nontrivial option but the best one for making a custom world that fits
to your exact specifications.  You might try hacking and/or slashing an
existing core to make it do what you want but if you have a lot of special
feature nonexistant in the existing core the question becomes "where to
hack?  where to slash?" and can sometimes be harder than making a new core
from scratch (becuase the ColdCore itself is badly documented).

  "Draped in monster hides, eyes shining with intelligence.
   A youth surviving against all odds..."

Anime Mayhem Virtual Roleplaying Environment
http://www.anime-mayhem.brians-anime.com:8080/

MoonieCode (0.7.15)
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Towers/7933/mooniecode.txt
SM:5+ F:sMo+[+]Ch D: O:d[--]s+o- P:a22:s54|-:eDGBr:hBr:y-[-]:r[-]|