Jonathan Bradshaw writes:

> I am trying to move from a MOO to Cold. The biggest hurdle is moving all the
> objects such as users, rooms, exits and $things to Cold. Unfortunately I know
> about as much about COLD and ColdCore as I did about LambdaMOO when I first
> started (about zilch).
>
> I decided I didn't want to do this one object at a time considering the large
> number I had so I hacked up some scripts to help. They are UGLY. Anyone who
> knows Cold will probably cringe when they see what I did but it works for >
> 90% of the objects and I can live with fixing up the rest.
>
> I give you the scripts I used to do with as you wish. I'd love for someone
> with either better MOO or COLD knowledge to refine them. In Tinyfugue I start
> a log, run the program and then use /quote to send them to the Cold system.

     Several years ago I had a project called MMCP - Moo-to-Moo-CoPy.
It assumed some other object took care of networking issues, and
essentially would reduce an object to a list-of-lists structure, pass
that to another object to transmit to the destination MOO, then
instantiate it there.  Much cleaner and easier than @dump.

     I got it functioning but I never managed to add the layers of
security and reliability that I wanted to - for example doing some
sort of CRC on the packet on either end to make sure it came through
allright, handling multiple-object suites and tokenizing object #s,
checking for security risks and resetting perms until the object has
been audited by somebody, etc.  I also wanted to rewrite the whole
thing to make it more modular, accessible and understandable, so it
could be more than just a one-purpose utility, so the components
could be reused.  At that point in my life I was going through a lot
of job stress and the MMCP, like other things, fell by the wayside.

     If anybody wants to adopt the code, I've still got copies of it
around on various MOOs.  Somebody who knows the Cold end of things
could maybe build the other half and make a bitchin' MOO-to-Cold
porting utility.

Steven J. Owens
puff@netcom.com