On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 01:15:00AM -0600, Levi Pearson wrote:
> The Camlann server, running genesis 1.1p4, has suffered a couple of nasty
> bugs. First, invalid objects showed up in some children() listings. One of
> these was a child of $login_interface, I believe. There were a couple of
> others, but there was a crash before I could track down where they were.
> The second problem showed itself when I tried to restore the recent backups.
> For backups up to a couple of months old, coldcc -d would panic and dump core,
> complaining about an invalid data type. Seems to be some sort of minor db
> corruption, but the corruption existed in backup dbs up to 2 months old and it
> never caused a crash in that time.
I have a new backup script that stores textdb's by default. It is
much much improved over the old one--it has the option of storing
textdb or binarydb, and of compressiong with any number of compression
tools (bzip2, gzip, compress), or not compressing at all. Like the
old one, it is implemented in perl. I have only tested it in FreeBSD.
You can grab it at:
Feel free to use it and let me know how things go. I have been using
it with tCD for a few weeks now, with textdb storing and bzip2
compression. The only thing that should be noted is if you get a
corrupted DB, it will no longer store the backup, so having a script
that watches the genesis logfile for failed decompiles is strongly
recommended (infact I may change the script to email when it has
problems of this type).