I have done this recently, and remember it well.  Assuming
nobody else has already answered this, I'll give it a crack.

I found that on my mandrake linux, I had to be sure perl5
was installed, because it had the ndbm.h header file I needed.

That header file ended up in /usr/include/db1
I guessed it would be needed in /usr/include as well, so
copied it into there as well.  Yes, I know, a link would probably
have been wiser, but I didn't.

Anyway, that solved my problem and genesis compiled
fine after that.

--
  Ilya, Game Commandos     http://www.gamecommandos.com