grimslayde wrote:

> Hey Folks,
>     I'm leaning in a different direction from my primary studies/use of Cold
> as a fantasy RP environment in lieu of a fascinating idea I had. I just
> swagged my own copy of Flash5 and I'm lov'n it. One of the new features is
> the implementation of the XML Socket object. You can see all the specs on it
> below in the excerpt I included.
>     Now, my experience in coding sockets is strictly within Visual Basic 6
> and even with that it is sadly limited... but that sort of thing has never
> stopped me before! That's why I pester you pros with my inane questions!!!
>     My idea is to use Cold as something of a host for client connections. I
> know, I know... it already IS just that, but bear with me here... The client
> would be web-based, built in Flash5. Cold could help handle chat connections
> or populate variables within Flash with data that it stores. There are ALOT
> of possibilities for the clever Flash/Cold coder. I'm just about rabid to
> try it.
>     I wanted to know a little more on how Cold handles TCP/IP connections.
> For instance, how would I go about opening up a new port for the "Flash
> client" to connect? What about listening, reading, writing, etc? Any ideas?
> Anyone.... anyone?

Networking in Cold is pretty straight forward and you should be able to
figure out what you need from MinimalCore or ColdCore.  If you have
troubles, drop by the Cold Dark in the evening sometime and I should be
able to help you out.

A more fun problem to look at is what type of character data Flash5 is
looking for.  Will it accept the regular 7 bit ASCII data?  Will it want
UTF-8?  Some other form of Unicode?

It is odd that you bring this up though now, because I know of some
others who want the same capabilities and some work may be done to
Genesis to embed an XML parser in it safely (asynchronous parsing so
that even if you need to parse a large document, you won't lock up the
driver while the parser is running).

It would probably make sense for you to visit in a couple of days and
let us know how things are going, what your experiences have been, etc.
  I'd love to hear more.

  - Bruce