Hi there!

*snip*

This sounds very like an idea a friend and I have been throwing around
for a number of months now.  We also wanted a autonomous, active
environment where most of the normal stimulae found in the real world
(economy, supply and demand, and so on) would keep the environment
actively working.  NPCs would then be 'intelligent' in what they can
react to, and things like communication would spontaneously occur
between different entities.  Add human interaction (in the form of
players) and it could be a most challenging and rewarding experience. :)

Our idea was to use some form of neural network encoded into the driver
(as native methods) that could be hooked on to NPC objects in the DB
with suitable values given to each to specify it's behavioural class.
Because of the complexity, the neural net would have to be made very
modular to allow it to be used most effectively in the DB environment.

We have, however, not yet passed the initial idea stage yet, as there
are other smaller issues that I've been trying to sort out first, hoping
to get the bulk of the world running before we actually start mucking
around with the driver and the hassle with developing this network
(which I have no experience with - I will have to learn very fast. ;)

*snip*

> 	Development will be reasonably open. I'll share
> sourcecode and ideas.
> The big reason I want to do it in a MUD is human interaction.
> In a MUD human
> players and automatons are peers with respect to the physical
> laws, and another
> goal is linguistic ability - to communicate with the
> creatures on some level
> (disclaimer: you may have to learn a new language - their
> language won't likely
> be english... though it should be fairly simple.)

Languages shouldn't be a problem.  English is technically my second
language, but I normally don't have a hassle with that.  As long as we
can correspond in English (or Afrikaans ;)...

Hope to hear from you soon!

--
Live long and Prosper

Henry Swanepoel                | Office: +27 11 888 1869
                               | Cell  : +27 82 497 5489
Datrix Solutions               | ICQ#  : 52019487
Cam. #: 200003-081             | henrys@datrix.co.za