Re: MCP 2.1

> I envisioned using a hash table, so there would be no need to know the
> keys in advance.  Is there a reference implementation?

No.  Of the two near-compliant implementations of which I'm aware, one uses
a hash table for message arguments, and the other uses an alist.  The alist
is set up on reception of the first line of the message; there is no
provision for adding arguments later on.

Obviously, this would be simple to change.  Likewise, any implementation
one came up with that required arguments to be specified in the first
line could easily be changed to a different implementation that didn't
require arguments to be specified in the first line.  It's a question
of whether we want to _require_ implementations not to require arguments.

I have no strongly felt answer to that question.