Equiv of single-line value verses a multiline value with one line

Roger Crew writes:

> That is, are implementations allowed to translate
>
>   #$#...  kwd: "foo"
>
> and
>
>   #$#...  kwd*: "" _data-tag: 666
>   #$#* 666 kwd: foo
>   #$#: 666
>
> differently (e.g., the one case translates to a string value "foo" while
> the other translates into a list value {"foo"})?

I wrote my parser so that the above two MCP messages produce identical
internal representations, and single line values are always sent in
the message start line.  I did this because I thought that was the
concensus I received when I posted this question earlier.

Which is it--do we follow the ML rule in which a tuple of one element
is the same as the one element, or do we follow the array rule in
which an array of one element is distinct from the element?

John