RE: official release

I think I agree with dave, here.
One other point is that if the issue is being able to do it easily in MOO,
doesn't $do_out_of_band_command() in MOO have argstr available?

I'm not entirely convinced that the overhead of slashification, which
requires walking through every character of every data string, will be that
small, *particularly* if making it easy/fast on MOO is an issue (since MOO
is an interpreted language, CPU time spent by the quoter may yet be
significant compared to network time spent, especially since it's a
per-character cost rather than a per-line cost --- even if the CPU itself is
sufficiently fast that this isn't a problem, there's still the added
complexity of dealing with tickouts).  I also would think that multilines
would comprise the majority of the traffic; if someone connects, does a
local edit on some 500-line object, and then disconnects, that's basically
1000 lines of #$#* to compare with the 10 or 20 version-negotiation and
download/upload messages.

Admittedly, I don't know if speed/ease-in-MOO *should* be an issue.