a local editing standard: simple or complex?

actually, i was won over by janus's arguments that we need a simple
local editing package in order to get widespread implementation.  the
Right Thing Package is a long ways off in terms of both design and
practical experience.  i certainly don't want to "standardize" on
something we're pulling out of a hat.

in fact, i would prefer we not talk about "the" local editing package
at all at this stage.  let's try some stuff out and see what we think,
before bestowing short namespace and editorial approval on a specific
proposal.  it's fine to talk about such experiments on this list, of
course, especially since, well, we need some actual packagess to have
a useful test of client-server interoperability.

this, of course, begs the naming authority question.  again.