[Coldstuff] Get 4 objects w/methods from corrupt database?

coldstuff@cold.org coldstuff@cold.org
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:27:42 -0700 (PDT)

CD into your MUD's directory and type this:

./coldcc -t /dev/null -b getclean
cp getclean/.clean binary
rm -rf getclean
./coldcc -d -# -b binary -t textdump.crash

This will create a blank database with a valid .clean file, which you can use
to trick coldcc into thinking your corrupt DB is ok.  It may not decompile
perfectly, but you'll at least have your textdump.crash.

- Kipp

On Thu, 18 July 2002, Andy_Croft@npd.com wrote

> Hey Brad!
>
>       Sorry if my original question seemed a bit vague... I'll answer each
> question in turn:
>
> > Questions:
> >
> > 1) how are you backing up your database?
>       I have been using the standard method of backups, which seems very
> comprehensive indeed! There are literally hundreds of backup tars in my
> directory from the past year or more, BUT whenever I try to restore from them
> they are corrupt and do not work. I explode them in the correct directory,
they
> have a file size that looks logical, their permissions are fine. I get the
> standard error about the database being corrupt and that it is aborting.
>
>       If I shut down the core and copy the index and objects files I can use
> THOSE as backups. I can also do the textdumping with successful recompile.
But