[Coldstuff] ColdC IDE?

B. Jack coldstuff@cold.org
Tue, 21 May 2002 08:53:37 -0700

> > My Anime Mayhem core implements a  web based
> > administration interface which
> > includes a method editor.  To edit code of the
> > method you'd use the object
> > browser tab to find the object with the method to
> > change, then click on the
> > method name which opens up a form with a textedit to
> > modify the code in the
> > method editor tab (my admin interface is implemented
> > like a tab control).
> >
> > It works fairly well provided your web browser gives
> > you suitable text
> > editing facilities which konqueror (the one I use)
> > does.

>Is this publicly available? I would love to add that
>to my ColdC.

I would not be opposed to making the source to the administration object
available; however, it is a rather large codebase when I consider that it
also depends on the WebObject library (an object oriented web page
generation library) and the web server code.

The best way to go about this would probably be to create an account on
Anime Mayhem (http://anime-mayhem.brians-anime.com:8080) then send me an
email (brian[at]brians-anime[dot]com) giving me an email address where I
could send you a gzipped textdump (thankfully they compress very well).  We
could then have a conversation ala Anime Mayehem port 3000 to answer any
questions that I know would come up.

You will need a good understanding of your existing core before attempting
this project since you would be integrating the webserver, webobject lib and
admin object into your core.  There are advantages and disadvantages to
undergoing such a transplant.

I also need to make all the usual disclaimers; especially so since overall
my core should be considered an unstable development version (however I had
coded the webservice aspect since day one and I've used it enough that I
trust the stability of that particular area of the codebase).  There are
some minor concerns but we could discuss those ala Anime Mayhem port 3000.
It sounds by your writing that your core qualifies as an early unstable
development core as well so this undertaking could well be worth the
challenge and the increased understanding of ColdC you'll obtain as a
result.