B. French wrote:
> I've never had any experience in developing a MUD nor doing any
> serious programming. I was just wondering if there's a version
> of Genesis (if that's what I'd even need to start with) that
> works on WindowsME, how big it is, and if you folks would permit
> me to use it, strictly for personal use in experimentation in
> developing a virtual enviornment. I've been playing The Eternal
> City for about a year now, and in light of the rumor that it'll
> be shutting down, I'd like to begin persuing the possiblility
> of creating one of my own. Thanks in Advance.

Genesis will compile correctly using the Cygwin package on NT
with no changes.  Cygwin can be obtained at www.cygwin.com .
Cygwin now ships with gdbm, however its gdbm is broken on Win9x
systems.  I am guessing that it may work on Win/ME though I can't
be certain.  Cygwin also now comes with Perl so you should be able
to execute the test suite and the utilities.

I don't know if it still works with Borland C++ 5.x or not.

--
--* Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD        Email:jlsysinc@ix.netcom.com *--
--* Mud Server Developer's Page <http://tychomud.home.netcom.com> *--