Vijay
   From: Roger Crew <rfc@MICROSOFT.com>
   Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 17:50:11 -0800

      It seems to me that there are three possible solutions to this
      problem:

      1. Set aside a special protocol:

	#$#mcp-quote <authkey> line: <value>

       This protocol will call the In-band processor with
       <value>.

       The advantage of this scheme is that the splitter is
       completely trivial. Only in the specialized case of wanting
       to have a #$# in-band line is some specialized processing
       invoked ... and then it is invoked in the standard way, as an MCP
       message.

       The disadvantage is that one has to make the (modest) architectural
       assumption that the In-band processor is callable from MCP
       modules.

     3. Introduce a new classification of network lines: out-of-band
       (those beginning with #$#), quoted in-band (those beginning
       with #$") and in-band (the remaining). ...

   [Why I prefer (3)]