Re: implementation question...

On 1/24/98 11:07 PM,  Erik Ostrom  [eostrom@research.att.com] wrote:

>FWIW, in MOO, as you know, it may be more convenient to wait until
>after login because you don't get a real object associated with the
>connection until that point.
[...]
>However, another solution
>if you're up for some radical core hacking is to separate the roles of
>"connection" and "player" into two separate objects.  Log a connection
>into a connection object as soon as it arrives, and make the
>connection object point to a player object once the connection is
>authenticated.

That is the solution we used. (One of the many advantages to this
is that it allows different kinds of connections to share the same
player object.)  I believe Gustavo Glusman also found a nice way to
associate state with un-logged-in connections, which might also be
of use if you want to do it in a more traditional core setting.  I'm
too lazy to search through the moo-cows archives looking for the
actual message, but if you can't find it and he doesn't remember,
ask me again and I can try to unearth it.

Cheers,

michael
brundage@ipac.caltech.edu